Everybody Get Ya Bos-on
Here’s a linkdown smackdown to give you some background, explainers, looks inside the facilities, and what today’s announcements from CERN mean and what they don’t mean:
What the f**k is a Higgs Boson?
- A collection of one-page, simplified explanations of the theoretical Higgs Boson
- Matt Strassler’s awesome and understandable Higgs FAQ 1.0
- Fermilab’s Don Lincoln uses barracudas and guys who eat donuts to explain the Higgs in this great video (embedded here):
What are they looking for at the LHC, and how?
- The two detectors at the Large Hadron Collider that are collecting this data, ATLAS and CMS have semi-informative websites. (ATLAS is much more informative, and has some videos that could help).
- Matt Strassler again with a complete rundown of the experiment, the models they are testing, and how the results could impact physics
- The anatomy of the Large Hadron Collider
What did they find, and what does it mean?
- "I heard a lot about statistics and sigmas. WTF?" Sean Carroll with an explanation of “confidence” sigmas.
- SciAm has a tame and accurate rundown of the findings.
- Matt Francis has a nice writeup, too. Quite a few links of his own there as well.
Today was a resounding “maybe” from CERN, with some unfortunate use of Comic Sans on the side. They must collect a ton more data when they start the detectors back up in March 2012. They could either continue to support their initial finding, or they could collect enough data to disprove it.
Either way, physics (and life) will go on, and 2012 will be a great science year!
62 Notes/ Hide
- goto-sinandserotonin reblogged this from angelic-hipster-mermaid-slut69
- angelic-hipster-mermaid-slut69 reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- salecita reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- sparkerpants likes this
- legitlisette reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- idonthaveasoul likes this
- hitescape reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- physicianclinician likes this
- labisclosed likes this
- mabelmoments likes this
- crusheddestiny reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- crusheddestiny likes this
- melecwi likes this
- invocationtobegin reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- babythestarssshinebright reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- brukfantasien reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- dsaewq said: The Higgs Boson video Don Lincoln made did an amazing job at explaining such a complicated set of ideas!
- mariaviaradionowhere likes this
- paris-collage reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- invocationtobegin likes this
- sekhmetsfury reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- captainchristian said: The higgs field sounds a whole lot like the ether we used to think lived in. can you explain the difference?
- naomaly likes this
- temporary-workspace reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- lareinaana likes this
- bstargazerf likes this
- abidingfaith likes this
- chellychoo likes this
- patella-fitzgerald likes this
- eillipses likes this
- priyaprakash likes this
- fullerenes likes this
- dungeness-crabby likes this
- skadventuretime likes this
- bonedust likes this
- whatido1 likes this
- catdiednobly likes this
- buaymeetsworld likes this
- firewalkwiithme likes this
- kumauk likes this
- wooshifer likes this
- havefunhavejemma likes this
- felltheangels reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- ohtheguilt likes this
- 011235813213455 likes this
- rossexton reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- redcloud likes this
- yipyipyi likes this
- relwordd reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- smooshyaguacate likes this