President Obama presents his State of the Union address tonight. At RealClearScience, Alex Berezow and Ross Pomeroy offer these thoughts in advance:
Despite the frequently expressed perception that the U.S. is declining in the world, in reality our scientists continue to perform the world’s most cutting-edge research. Just this past year, an American shared the Nobel Prize in medicine for unraveling exquisite details about the immune system. Three Americans were awarded the Nobel Prize in physics for overturning conventional wisdom about the fundamental nature of ouruniverse.
For what it’s worth, two Americans were even awarded the Nobel Prize in economics.
U.S. researchers continue to publish more papers than their foreign colleagues in the most influential science journals. And 31 of the top 100 universities in the world are found in the United States.
If we continue to put forth the type of effort displayed in the 20th century, then the 21st century will again be an American century.
But, we have a lot of work to do, and many challenges to overcome.
They highlight economic recovery, investing public and private spaceflight, energy innovation, improving education and science literacy, and using science to connect to the developing world (especially using science and innovation to support democracy and independence in the Arab world).
What would you add? (besides demanding a hoverboard for every citizen)
45 Notes/ Hide
- neue-pc-spiele2013 reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- bauknecht-wat-care-20 reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- remington-all-that-beach-wave reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- konad-plate-m19 reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- borse-prada-primavera-estate reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- wie-behandelt-man-hamorrhoiden reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- salon-marketing-expert reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- bonedust likes this
- annbucher likes this
- medethicslady reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- cclitgirl likes this
- cheesequeeen reblogged this from truthloveandtravels
- physicianclinician likes this
- truthloveandtravels reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- iheartdubya likes this
- twentyfourandnotpregnant said: it is true we have some phenomenal research occurring in america but our secondary education level science needs some SERIOUS improvement [coming from a HS science teacher].
- jaz-min likes this
- canisfamiliaris said: I would add that an American scientist, thinking scientifically, would NOT CARE if America is preeminent in the world of science.
- oldmanyellsatcloud reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- oldmanyellsatcloud likes this
- sosungalittleclodofclay reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- ashieyuxea likes this
- lenon01 reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- mariahgem likes this
- theseekeroftruths reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- rashers likes this
- realcleverscience said: I want to be upset at RealClearScience for sounding so much like my blog’s title… but I get the impression they’ve been around longer. doh!
- realcleverscience likes this
- sixgunsound reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- crookedindifference likes this
- jtotheizzoe posted this