Historic Manhattan Project Footage: A Human Look At Life Before The Bomb
What if the fate of the free world was depending on you, and they didn’t even know it? How would you deal with that weight?
According to this video time capsule recently unearthed at Los Alamos National Labs, you’d relax by skiing, swimming, hiking and drinking cold Coors beer. In other words, you’d act human.
Hugh Bradner, a physicist working on the Manhattan Project’s weapons testing program Project Y (and who later invented the neoprene wetsuit!), was given informal permission from the U.S. Army to shoot this collection of home movies. The hour of footage that exists was spliced down to 10 minutes for this video, and it represents our only look at what life was like for these physicists and staff during their quest to harness the atom for war.
We see them enjoying the outdoors, hiking with their adorable dogs, basking in the sun next to cool, clear watering holes (the bathing suits!), enjoying an ice-cold Coors (I like their style!), visiting the pueblos, exploring the mountains from the saddle of a horse, and even the Bradners’ wedding (featuring a cameo by J. Robert Oppenheimer).
I’m struck by how young they are, and how they are striving to enjoy the simple parts of life just as we would. These images are nearly 70 years old, but they show that even though these men and women were about to change the world in ways they couldn’t imagine, they are not so different from us.
It’s a true treasure of science history.
Bonus: Browse the I.D. badge images of Los Alamos Manhattan Project scientists! From Enrico Fermi to a very young Richard Feynman! Notice any other gems?
176 Notes/ Hide
- jkmhoffman reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- sonnyjohl likes this
- spaceoperetta likes this
- television-for-dinner likes this
- starfoozle reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- notoneforlovesongs reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- diskofthedamned reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- mr-grande likes this
- spifftastic reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- catdiednobly likes this
- thelurkingsofmisterj likes this
- greenfieldsara likes this
- bodycollider likes this
- paraboloidehiperbolico reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- ohjaycee reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- eldinire likes this
- santosfelipe likes this
- patronsaintofqualityfootwear reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- jondenman likes this
- acrowscollection likes this
- eternalacademic reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- azys likes this
- hawkeye39 likes this
- justateenagemaniac reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- justateenagemaniac likes this
- exit200 likes this
- speakingumesami likes this
- spifftastic likes this
- nothing-cliche-thanks reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- a-straitjacket-named-desire likes this
- gracefree reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- saltrose-and-honeybee reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- saltrose-and-honeybee likes this
- sillydoge likes this
- lenon01 likes this
- beingintrepid likes this
- nchepesiuk likes this
- wafflelephant likes this
- illfillthisinlater likes this
- cosmosplasma likes this
- nucleosides likes this
- jondek reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- feedingyouraddiction likes this
- lialor reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- citylightscomebackinjune reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- happyproletariat likes this
- charm-quarks reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- mikemewborne likes this