You might have seen this news come across your dashboard, Twitter feed or Facebook wall (via The Telegraph):
Well, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it’s not true, despite tens of thousands of shares on social networks. I’m not a buzzkill, I promise. I’m just a science guy with a frustrating attachment to reality. So what’s behind the story?
What is true:
- Israeli scientists are trying to create a vaccine against a molecule that’s expressed on the outside of 90% of known cancer cell types.
- The molecule, called MUC1, is a sugar-protein that helps cells form outer structure, and the version of MUC1 on cancer cells is different from normal cells.
- A vaccine that let the body learn to attack only the bad MUC1 could turn the immune system against cancers before they got out of control while not harming healthy cells.
Here’s what is exaggerated:
- While many cancers express this mutant MUC1, even a single tumor can have huge, complex diversity in its genes. That usually means that therapies that attack only one cancerous change or mutation will leave behind some small population of unaffected, dangerous cells.
- Vaccines, even against viruses, rarely show 100% effectiveness. It’s really important to remember that cancers continue to evolve as a tumor grows. And even one cell that doesn’t get killed by this method could grow into a tumor all on its own.
- This is not the first drug therapy that has tried to exploit MUC1 as a target. The clinical trial here is of 10 patients, and only one cancer type. There are 30 other trials of other MUC1 therapies going on, some that are closer to finishing.
- If something like this was really a “Universal Cancer Vaccine”, wouldn’t it go into Science or Nature or The Lancet instead of The Telegraph?
That being said, it’s a good example of trying to find a way that cancer cells differ from normal cells and using the body’s own machinery to kill the tumor before it even gets big enough to be detected by doctors. It’s also an example of science news hype pulled straight from a press release (something called “churnalism”).
But cancer is not a universal disease, and likewise no cancer treatment will ever be universal.
206 Notes/ Hide
- raptormite likes this
- formerlyaurelya reblogged this from scishow
- thisisscience likes this
- stressface likes this
- systemofaclown reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- systemofaclown likes this
- biomolunirio reblogged this from scishow
- notreallyclarkkent likes this
- apopyasy reblogged this from ggcc-aaaaatacaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaa and added:
- ggcc-aaaaatacaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaa reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- outsidethesphere reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- fanofchocolate reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- themonkeyoodle likes this
- indigoaugust reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- lightanddarklove likes this
- iamacollectionofmiscellanyandtea likes this
- soulsuckingisaacnewton reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- oblemmah likes this
- imythekidd likes this
- squint-scowl likes this
- onychophorawesome likes this
- valvallievalerie reblogged this from scishow
- exit200 reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- exit200 likes this
- deep-but-playable reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- ifyourestyourust reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- ptan reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- wooshifer likes this
- cloverfrommars reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- cisleen likes this
- samilyn reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- bourin likes this
- wanderer11 reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- hypotheticalresearcher reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- hypotheticalresearcher said: THANK YOU!
- evelark likes this
- possiblydesign likes this
- lunchwiththedevil reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- timeneverenoughtime reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- multicolortwins likes this
- childe-roland reblogged this from scishow
- howeverimprobably reblogged this from scishow
- kaykayjay likes this
- frotadealguidares reblogged this from microloca
- frotadealguidares likes this
- petermag reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- sunnysunflowers likes this
- thesaera likes this
- microloca reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- monsieurbombardier reblogged this from scishow