Nazi Buddhas From Space!
This is like something stolen out of an Indiana Jones movie.
In 1938 a Nazi expedition found a 1,000-year-old Buddhist statue. Since then it has remained in a private collection, marked with a
swastika Manji (a symbol referring to harmony), only going public a few years ago.
If you were to hold this statue, you would notice that it’s heavy. Really heavy. Over 10 kilograms, actually, despite being only 24 cm tall. Long called the “iron man”, some new analysis traces the origin of this rock to an exotic locale: Space.
The rock it’s made of, an iron mineral called ataxite, indicates that it did not come from Earth. Where it came from isn’t precisely known, but a meteorite is known to have crashed about 15,000 years ago near modern-day Mongolia and China. This stands as the only known carving of extraterrestrial origin that I know of. And its worth? If this is true, you couldn’t put a number on it.
I can’t imagine how long it must have taken to carve something like this out of what is essentially iron. That’s dedication. You think they knew of it’s origin when they chose this rock to carve the statue in?
So cool. Check out more at Scientific American.
EDIT: Guys, I made a mistake in my original post that I have since edited. The “swastika”-type symbol on this carving’s chest is not the Nazi symbol, but rather the Buddhist “manji” symbol that represents harmony. This symbol was later appropriated by the Nazis (and reversed). I mistakenly thought that the Nazi expedition that found the statue carved it in there, but it looks like that was why they picked it up in the first place. It was already there. So sorry to have messed this fact up.
443 Notes/ Hide
- boobitch likes this
- liarsarebeautifultoo reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- liarsarebeautifultoo likes this
- eatingstars likes this
- slushiebrains likes this
- whydocowsfall reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- thelastfangirl likes this
- icouldhaveeatenthat likes this
- tunabatter likes this
- 70s-postmiserablism reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- beliefcreatesreality reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- yanilamuela likes this
- healthysick reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- motherballsxz likes this
- br0ken-tree reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- creewillow reblogged this from electricspacekoolaid
- jpsdm reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- in2beingmyself reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- spanning-time likes this
- crazyress likes this
- xenotriple6 reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- xenotriple6 likes this
- namlessprophet reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- namlessprophet likes this
- bunny-town likes this
- miles-explains-it-all likes this
- silverskyjewelry likes this
- swsmh reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- wildinmybubble likes this
- mybestfriendispizza reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- charliemyfatcat reblogged this from mystic-sybil
- charliemyfatcat likes this
- ocallaghaniscalling likes this
- mystic-sybil reblogged this from paisleydesert
- datbarcr33p3r reblogged this from paisleydesert
- feiens-snowden likes this
- paisleydesert reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- supertsundere reblogged this from justalittlebitstupid
- justalittlebitstupid reblogged this from narcissisticselfloathing
- survivingtherenaissance reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- elementalattorney reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- slimeypie likes this
- calvins-klein reblogged this from girl-behind-the-aura
- girl-behind-the-aura reblogged this from whereissierra
- whereissierra reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- roserobert reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- my-life-is-merp reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- sphinxnomore likes this
- rrrick likes this