Nazi Buddhas From Space!
This is like something stolen out of an Indiana Jones movie.
In 1938 a Nazi expedition found a 1,000-year-old Buddhist statue. Since then it has remained in a private collection, marked with a
swastika Manji (a symbol referring to harmony), only going public a few years ago.
If you were to hold this statue, you would notice that it’s heavy. Really heavy. Over 10 kilograms, actually, despite being only 24 cm tall. Long called the “iron man”, some new analysis traces the origin of this rock to an exotic locale: Space.
The rock it’s made of, an iron mineral called ataxite, indicates that it did not come from Earth. Where it came from isn’t precisely known, but a meteorite is known to have crashed about 15,000 years ago near modern-day Mongolia and China. This stands as the only known carving of extraterrestrial origin that I know of. And its worth? If this is true, you couldn’t put a number on it.
I can’t imagine how long it must have taken to carve something like this out of what is essentially iron. That’s dedication. You think they knew of it’s origin when they chose this rock to carve the statue in?
So cool. Check out more at Scientific American.
EDIT: Guys, I made a mistake in my original post that I have since edited. The “swastika”-type symbol on this carving’s chest is not the Nazi symbol, but rather the Buddhist “manji” symbol that represents harmony. This symbol was later appropriated by the Nazis (and reversed). I mistakenly thought that the Nazi expedition that found the statue carved it in there, but it looks like that was why they picked it up in the first place. It was already there. So sorry to have messed this fact up.
447 Notes/ Hide
- knowledgereinsupreme reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- constellizes likes this
- peachpareblogging reblogged this from thecryptocreep
- peachpareblogging likes this
- boobitch likes this
- liarsarebeautifultoo reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- liarsarebeautifultoo likes this
- eatingstars likes this
- slushiebrains likes this
- whydocowsfall reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- thelastfangirl likes this
- btsan likes this
- tunabatter likes this
- 70s-postmiserablisms reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- beliefcreatesreality reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- yanilamuela likes this
- healthysick reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- motherballsxz likes this
- br0ken-tree reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- creewillow reblogged this from electricspacekoolaid
- in2beingmyself reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- basrelief likes this
- crazyress likes this
- xenotriple6 reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- xenotriple6 likes this
- theprophvt reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- theprophvt likes this
- bunny-town likes this
- miles-explains-it-all likes this
- silverskyjewelry likes this
- wildinmybubble likes this
- nothingtoseeherefriends reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- petracapaldi likes this
- feienopteryx likes this
- supertsundere reblogged this from justalittlebitstupid
- justalittlebitstupid reblogged this from narcissisticselfloathing
- survivingtherenaissance reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- elementalattorney reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- drawwitch likes this
- calvins-klein reblogged this from girl-behind-the-aura
- girl-behind-the-aura reblogged this from whereissierra
- whereissierra reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- somemutantlovechild reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- my-life-is-merp reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- sphinxnomore likes this
- rrrick likes this
- autobahnvismarck likes this
- karenhart28 said: It was an honest mistake, besides it makes an awesome healdine: “NAZI BUDDHAS FROM SPACE” lol it’s just hilarious!
- karenhart28 likes this