Nazi Buddhas From Space!
This is like something stolen out of an Indiana Jones movie.
In 1938 a Nazi expedition found a 1,000-year-old Buddhist statue. Since then it has remained in a private collection, marked with a
swastika Manji (a symbol referring to harmony), only going public a few years ago.
If you were to hold this statue, you would notice that it’s heavy. Really heavy. Over 10 kilograms, actually, despite being only 24 cm tall. Long called the “iron man”, some new analysis traces the origin of this rock to an exotic locale: Space.
The rock it’s made of, an iron mineral called ataxite, indicates that it did not come from Earth. Where it came from isn’t precisely known, but a meteorite is known to have crashed about 15,000 years ago near modern-day Mongolia and China. This stands as the only known carving of extraterrestrial origin that I know of. And its worth? If this is true, you couldn’t put a number on it.
I can’t imagine how long it must have taken to carve something like this out of what is essentially iron. That’s dedication. You think they knew of it’s origin when they chose this rock to carve the statue in?
So cool. Check out more at Scientific American.
EDIT: Guys, I made a mistake in my original post that I have since edited. The “swastika”-type symbol on this carving’s chest is not the Nazi symbol, but rather the Buddhist “manji” symbol that represents harmony. This symbol was later appropriated by the Nazis (and reversed). I mistakenly thought that the Nazi expedition that found the statue carved it in there, but it looks like that was why they picked it up in the first place. It was already there. So sorry to have messed this fact up.
417 Notes/ Hide
- silverskyjewelry likes this
- swsmh reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- wildinmybubble likes this
- mybestfriendispizza reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- charliemyfatcat reblogged this from mystic-sybil
- charliemyfatcat likes this
- ocallaghaniscalling likes this
- mystic-sybil reblogged this from riverofechoes
- datbarcr33p3r reblogged this from riverofechoes
- feien likes this
- riverofechoes reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- supertsundere reblogged this from justalittlebitstupid
- justalittlebitstupid reblogged this from narcissisticselfloathing
- survivingtherenaissance reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- pen15club reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- elementalattorney reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- sleeptea likes this
- thebreadking5523 reblogged this from medusas-snakes
- medusas-snakes reblogged this from whereissierra
- whereissierra reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- roserobert reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- my-life-is-merp reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- sphinxnomore likes this
- rrrick likes this
- cactonautsofdoom likes this
- jennykasabian said: It was an honest mistake, besides it makes an awesome healdine: “NAZI BUDDHAS FROM SPACE” lol it’s just hilarious!
- jennykasabian likes this
- go-happylucky reblogged this from austinayygur
- austinayygur reblogged this from lights-action
- astralsailor likes this
- amazondotca reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- beardedlove reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- mandlebrot reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- mandlebrot likes this
- blackcoffeeheart likes this
- terrestrial-spillway likes this
- ammre likes this
- explodingimplosion likes this
- atticusmichael likes this
- sonicupgrade reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- sonicupgrade likes this
- greenerworld likes this
- breathethedownbow likes this
- in-our-summer-skin reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- cirque-de-la-lune reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- meryletrouble likes this
- iwillshakeyourmilkshakebrain reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- dreamcrushersanon reblogged this from hectograph
- dreamcrushersanon likes this
- cybersapien said: smh…after the “om” symbol, the “reversed swastika” is the biggest symbol in Hindu culture.