In what may be my favorite Star Wars-themed science article ever written (and that’s saying a lot), Kyle Hill analyzes Han Solo’s oft-criticized description of completing the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs … and discovers he was probably a time-traveler.
The problem arises because a parsec is a unit of distance, not time. So Han’s statement implies that he found a Kessel Run shortcut. In the Star Wars universe, this famous smugglers’ route skirts dangerously close to some black holes. So if the Millennium Falcon can keep from being sucked in, it must be really fast.
And that’s where it gets cool:
So for the purposes of calculating the Kessel Run, let’s say the Millennium Falcon is the fastest ship ever. Somehow able to withstand the forces involved (perhaps it has something to do with that sweet tractor-beam tech), we can calculate what happens when Han and his baby go 99.9999999 percent the speed of light, or 0.999999999c.
Funny things happen to time when you start traveling close to the speed of light. Time runs normally for you, but everyone else moves forward at an increased rate, covering years while you only experience minutes. What does this time dilation mean for Han?
Because the shortened Kessel Run spans 12 parsecs (39.6 light-years), a ship traveling nearly light-speed would take a little more than 39.6 years to get there. Factoring in time dilation, anyone watching the Kessel Run would see Solo speeding along for almost 40 years, but Solo himself would experience only a little more than half a day.
If you haven’t picked out the potential pitfall for the Star Wars timeline I’ll spell it out: In the time it takes Han to complete just one Kessel Run, the rest of the galaxy battles, negotiates, and force-chokes its way through almost 40 years — and pushes the date of Solo’s birth 40 years further into the past.
It gets better. Go read the rest at Wired.com.
810 Notes/ Hide
- neominimuz reblogged this from bonniegrrl
- jamesskaar reblogged this from bonniegrrl and added:
- dreaming-of-fictional-worlds likes this
- kayfuckingbros reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- pissedoffpolarbear likes this
- helkitty1639 reblogged this from itsxandy
- hypno-cat likes this
- hoccypocky reblogged this from iamthedroidyourelookingfor
- luckykrys reblogged this from hayllyn
- drmcawesome reblogged this from itsxandy
- hayllyn reblogged this from startrekrenegades
- kurobook likes this
- seasonalprogress reblogged this from 1ndianmagic
- helkitty1639 likes this
- rosestripedsuit reblogged this from itsxandy
- anoddballwithakeyboard reblogged this from itsxandy
- i-am-pit reblogged this from itsxandy
- masked-musician likes this
- tabithian likes this
- cock-speed likes this
- random-ception reblogged this from itsxandy
- lysanderandpherenike likes this
- flyninthetardis likes this
- remewane likes this
- jocicausa reblogged this from andythanfiction
- wytchkraft-the-architekt-of-kaoz reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- wytchkraft-the-architekt-of-kaoz likes this
- dondefelipe likes this
- roughedges1 likes this
- messier51 reblogged this from lure-of-freedom
- lure-of-freedom reblogged this from andythanfiction
- annexed likes this
- sci-bsiokbe reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- roootheday likes this
- knitmeapony reblogged this from evelark
- evelark reblogged this from monsieurbombardier
- tutoring-on-up reblogged this from startrekrenegades
- statesideshift likes this
- jelenedrake reblogged this from still-working-on-believing
- qu33nofspades reblogged this from nerdyvixen
- qu33nofspades likes this
- nerdyvixen reblogged this from still-working-on-believing
- litfrombothends likes this
- greatmastercami likes this
- thenorn reblogged this from twofish
- thenorn likes this
- ninjash8 reblogged this from startrekrenegades
- thelalacastle likes this
- joe-protagoras likes this