The Twisted Cultural Conflict of Duck Genitalia Research
What happens when a conservative website “discovers” a study that studies the explosive corkscrew nature of duck genitalia and how it relates to sexual evolution? Their commenters completely lose their minds at the idea that the government would fund such basic science research (srsly, read the comments … or actually maybe don’t).
Except that basic science research like this is the cornerstone of innovation and discovery. Carl Zimmer stands up for this kind of science in this must-read article, and I stand behind him. Besides, xkcd’s money chart reminds us that this isn’t why the budget is in trouble, maybe?
Science is a journey of unknowns, a slow and careful march into uncharted territories of human knowledge. We can not predict how research will benefit humanity, because those benefits might be years, or even decades down the road. Or they might not materialize at all.
You can’t fund the invention of an MRI machine, instead you fund basic research in the physics of magnetic resonance on living tissues. Likewise, studies of sexual conflict in ducks can unlock the secrets of our own evolution, and might even help us understand mysterious conditions like preeclampsia (which killed Sybil on Downton Abbey, an event I have not fully recovered from).
This is why it is so important to share science with your friends, and to make sure that scientists and science folks everywhere are connecting with the public. Because if you don’t communicate your science, then someone else will do it for you, and nefariously.
By this point, you probably want to see the slo-mo videos of those explosive corkscrew genitalia, right? Here ya go.
Perhaps most tragically, the critics seem to be missing the easy opportunity to make “stimulus package” jokes … which is funny, I don’t care who ya are.
225 Notes/ Hide
- blitzente likes this
- thealphapenguin likes this
- elshiki1000plus reblogged this from oldmanyellsatcloud
- firstchurchofchristspaceman likes this
- redcloud likes this
- therealdrewski likes this
- molecularlifesciences reblogged this from archaean
- etceteraandwhatnot reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- deviousbunny reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- craniumsandcrayons likes this
- zebratrucks likes this
- punsandpasserines reblogged this from oldmanyellsatcloud
- punsandpasserines likes this
- mycelium-etiquette reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- chibi-zoe likes this
- carriecontainingmultitudes reblogged this from flyingfishtailoutpost1 and added:
- eviloverlibrarian likes this
- mummymommy likes this
- defenderofdust reblogged this from climbinglyell
- raisedbyhyenas likes this
- zoshua likes this
- apocalypsesunshine reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- thebreadedlady likes this
- deflectio-lunae likes this
- plurdledgabbleblotchits likes this
- elshiki reblogged this from oldmanyellsatcloud
- molecularlifesciences likes this
- peglegsal likes this
- numerati reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- irrationalsense likes this
- defenderofdust likes this
- miss-ovarios likes this
- swampfred reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- swampfred likes this
- archaean reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- downontheupside reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- maneatingbadger reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- majesticroyaldick reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- jacknemo15 reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- chieflybombast likes this
- irrelevantexperimentation likes this
- chels likes this
- gonzoramos likes this
- purple-goat likes this
- majd3st1ny likes this
- salecita likes this