A Boy And His Atom: The World’s Smallest Movie
Scientists are known for loving their work. Biologists tend to their cultures and animals. Physicists polish their exquisite machines like sports car entusiasts treat vintage Ferraris. So do chemists love atoms? Apparently they do. At least enough to write a love story with, and about them.
IBM scientists have created the world’s smallest movie using individual atoms. It’s the story of a boy and his playful atom buddy, drawn in stop motion and with each quantum pixel positioned using a scanning tunneling microscope. Every frame is magnified a stunning 100 million times!
This amazing feat was accomplished by using a charged atomic needle to drag single carbon monoxide molecules (the individual atoms we see are one side of that two-atom molecule) around on a copper substrate. I’ve posted a little bit about these feats of atomic art before, with these “quantum corrals” and “ferrous wheels”.
See those ripples around each atom? They remind me of pebbles being tossed into a still pond. They are actually ripples in the electron field of the copper surface below! It’s a reminder that, contrary to many textbooks, electrons behave more like waves than particles following an orbit. And like any other wave, they can form intricate interference patterns. Check out this previous post for more on that.
The hope is that manipulating atomic structures like this may lead to even greater information storage capacity. Imaging all the world’s books and movies on your mobile phone at once!
Here’s a “making of” movie from IBM, featuring the sound of atoms being moved as well as the encouraging sight of several female team members.
This makes me as happy as atom boy there.
762 Notes/ Hide
- 1matchleft reblogged this from spherik
- student118 likes this
- pandoruh likes this
- obladiobladuhhh likes this
- alisonconte reblogged this from herakushi and added:
- trochiline reblogged this from naraakitsune
- saraneth-midwifery reblogged this from naraakitsune
- naraakitsune reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- daftpunkchemist reblogged this from yesindeedchemistry
- smile-relax-you-are-on-tv likes this
- smilingrider reblogged this from jolynekuujo
- jolynekuujo reblogged this from mydorkishowing
- mydorkishowing reblogged this from calorescence
- brownpeopleproblems likes this
- hkrai reblogged this from yesindeedchemistry and added:
- a-cephalopod-army reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- adinventum likes this
- quasa-r reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- shipyardsong likes this
- rikashock reblogged this from cookiecthulhu
- laventelia reblogged this from cookiecthulhu
- littlebjelkier likes this
- kloord reblogged this from raintalker
- instytut-poznania-dobra-i-zla reblogged this from rabanusvanbirkenheid
- rabanusvanbirkenheid reblogged this from raintalker
- despicableplankton reblogged this from apertureratt
- despicableplankton likes this
- thechibizombie likes this
- bramblecircuit likes this
- soundlessraindrops reblogged this from raintalker
- princessspock likes this
- sarkenoth likes this
- pandapaw5160 likes this
- tonelessturbo likes this
- chisanaai likes this
- armadilloprincess likes this
- apertureratt reblogged this from raintalker
- herakushi reblogged this from raintalker
- herakushi likes this
- asamino likes this
- theonefreewoman likes this
- raintalker reblogged this from calorescence
- dark-tarou likes this
- jermaina reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- jermaina likes this
- picaq reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- twitterpatedlyyours reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- twitterpatedlyyours likes this