From The Old Astronomer (To His Pupil) by Sarah Williams
The full poem:
Reach me down my Tycho Brahé, — I would know him when we meet,
When I share my later science, sitting humbly at his feet;
He may know the law of all things, yet be ignorant of how
We are working to completion, working on from then to now.
Pray remember that I leave you all my theory complete,
Lacking only certain data for your adding, as is meet,
And remember men will scorn it, ‘tis original and true,
And the obloquy of newness may fall bitterly on you.
But, my pupil, as my pupil you have learned the worth of scorn,
You have laughed with me at pity, we have joyed to be forlorn,
What for us are all distractions of men’s fellowship and wiles;
What for us the Goddess Pleasure with her meretricious smiles.
You may tell that German College that their honor comes too late,
But they must not waste repentance on the grizzly savant’s fate.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
What, my boy, you are not weeping? You should save your eyes for sight;
You will need them, mine observer, yet for many another night.
I leave none but you, my pupil, unto whom my plans are known.
You “have none but me,” you murmur, and I “leave you quite alone”?
Well then, kiss me, — since my mother left her blessing on my brow,
There has been a something wanting in my nature until now;
I can dimly comprehend it, — that I might have been more kind,
Might have cherished you more wisely, as the one I leave behind.
I “have never failed in kindness”? No, we lived too high for strife,—
Calmest coldness was the error which has crept into our life;
But your spirit is untainted, I can dedicate you still
To the service of our science: you will further it? you will!
There are certain calculations I should like to make with you,
To be sure that your deductions will be logical and true;
And remember, “Patience, Patience,” is the watchword of a sage,
Not to-day nor yet to-morrow can complete a perfect age.
I have sown, like Tycho Brahé, that a greater man may reap;
But if none should do my reaping, ‘twill disturb me in my sleep
So be careful and be faithful, though, like me, you leave no name;
See, my boy, that nothing turn you to the mere pursuit of fame.
I must say Good-bye, my pupil, for I cannot longer speak;
Draw the curtain back for Venus, ere my vision grows too weak:
It is strange the pearly planet should look red as fiery Mars,—
God will mercifully guide me on my way amongst the stars.
1399 Notes/ Hide
- eritela likes this
- briarsmoss likes this
- lonicagaymund reblogged this from ser-jaimelannister
- ser-jaimelannister reblogged this from pomegranateseedsandpersephone
- dreamofanothersky likes this
- captainspacepirate likes this
- loc-storage reblogged this from pomegranateseedsandpersephone
- pomegranateseedsandpersephone reblogged this from grimnismal
- grimnismal reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- die-uhrkonigin likes this
- lymmea reblogged this from bugs-and-buzzards
- unsafebet likes this
- girlproof reblogged this from cygnahime
- softcollarswitches likes this
- caracorder reblogged this from cygnahime
- elementalhero likes this
- cygnahime reblogged this from bugs-and-buzzards
- bugs-and-buzzards reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- bugs-and-buzzards likes this
- lovefromangela reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- neornithes likes this
- driftwoodcompatible reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- driftwoodcompatible likes this
- incomplete-stupidity reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- incomplete-stupidity likes this
- allofthosesummernights reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- fionjlau likes this
- brassfeathers reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- stars-in-mars reblogged this from thebaconsandwichofregret
- concupiscentlyashen likes this
- tenthousandleaguesunderthed likes this
- meowuseememeowudont reblogged this from thebaconsandwichofregret
- lostandimported reblogged this from thebaconsandwichofregret
- caravanofcrap likes this
- the-asian-daughter-of-poseidon reblogged this from thebaconsandwichofregret
- the-asian-daughter-of-poseidon likes this
- zippykino reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- durgases reblogged this from thebaconsandwichofregret
- garveygirl139 reblogged this from thebaconsandwichofregret
- garveygirl139 likes this
- thebaconsandwichofregret reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- thebaconsandwichofregret likes this
- septiemestar reblogged this from shmoopie313
- hushme-knots likes this
- myfandomforahorse likes this
- livingluster likes this
- maythebabyelephant reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- freely-defined likes this