Our nation’s veggie safety screening program is also under the knife in House GOP budget plans! This is news of two just fantastic science budget decisions in one day! And in this case, by “fantastic” I mean “potentially deadly”.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture runs something called the Microbiological Data Program, which tests grocery store veggies for dangerous contaminants. What contaminants? Like deadly E. coli. Like the deadly E. coli that recently ravaged Western Europe.
The price tag on the MDP comes to $4.5 million out of a total agriculture budget of $125.5 billion. It would be easy to just say that this is a victim of tightening belt, but it’s well known that the agriculture biz doesn’t like this program and the recalls it causes. Something smells rotten.
Hope now lies in the Senate.
110 Notes/ Hide
- oliveyouidoxiii reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- cheza22 likes this
- ultrathinlatex likes this
- cewlbananas likes this
- deadmolecules likes this
- emagini reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- merrilyjaded reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- lilbit1016 likes this
- thebemusedescapist likes this
- palpina likes this
- insurance0o0 likes this
- ytirucespkimer likes this
- ben-al-smith reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- prettygirlsmakedirtygraves reblogged this from moonlightdoesbecomeyou and added:
- nickitively reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- kathleenelaine reblogged this from mikikona
- mikikona reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- novice86er reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- chetwoot likes this
- This was featured in #Science
- jtotheizzoe posted this