Interview with Maryam Mirzakhani, the brilliant Iranian mathematician who was the first woman to win the Fields Medal
- Interviewer: What advice would you give lay persons who would
- like to know more about mathematics—what it is,
- what its role in our society has been and so on?
- What should they read? How should they proceed?
- Dr. Mirzakhani: This is a difficult question. I don’t think that everyone
- should become a mathematician, but I do believe that
- many students don’t give mathematics a real chance.
- I did poorly in math for a couple of years in middle
- school; I was just not interested in thinking about it.
- I can see that without being excited mathematics can
- look pointless and cold. The beauty of mathematics
- only shows itself to more patient followers.