The AntiMatter Science Rap
Coma Niddy has an awesome new rap out that looks at the yin and yang of matter and antimatter. Luckily he and anti-Coma Niddy never collide in the second verse, which would have resulted in their annihilation. And we don’t want that.
Michael’s Coma Niddy University is another new science channel being brought to you by PBS Digital Studios, who also make my YouTube show: It’s Okay to Be Smart. Subscribe to both of them! We can’t wait to bring you more science awesomeness.
Maybe we should do a rap together …
Performance, Feedback, Revision
How is tweaking a lyric just like natural selection? Creativity and mutation leads to performance, selection or audiences provide feedback, and the genome or the rapper continue to revise.
This. Is. Awesome.
Evolution is really just kind of an algorithm that goes like this: Performance, Feedback, Revision
(If you’re more into classical literature, Baba Brinkman also took a stab at The Canterbury Tales)
Have you ever noticed that people use the terms Theory and Hypothesis interchangeably? Most people say they have a Theory. They really mean that they have a Hypothesis.
My latest Science Music Video sheds some lyrical light on the situation.
Watch “Theory vs Hypothesis” to learn more!
I once had a hypothesis that comaniddy’s science raps were pretty damn awesome, and now, thanks to careful observations, I have enough evidence to make it an airtight theory.
The neurological roots of improvisation versus memorization are becoming a bit clearer thanks to a few brave rappers who agreed to have their noggins scanned while rhyming. What the study’s researchers found matches up well with previous analysis of improvising jazz musicians.
These fMRI studies indicate that very specific brain regions, especially those involved in word recall and creative language processing, are firing more when rappers are freestyling than when reciting memorized passages. Not exactly surprising, but a cool scientific explanation for some particular musical creativity.
Neatorama put it best with this flow:
Oh my God, Becky
Look at his brain
It’s so big
He looks like one of those rap guys
Who understands those rap guys
They only rap like that because of improvisation-related correlations between medial prefrontal, cingulate motor, perisylvian cortices and amygdala
I mean his brain
It’s just so big
I can’t believe it’s so brainy
It’s just out there
I mean, it’s awesome
I Got 99 Particles But A Boson Ain’t One
Thanks to my Twitter friends for sending me this awesome Large Hadron Collider rap. Stephen Hawking’s voice droppin’ fat beats while the CERN MCs explain what each detector does and how the various collisions will enlighten our understanding of our universe boiiiiiiiiiii …
Of course, now that they’ve discovered the Higgs bizzity-boson, tha haters best step off …
(by Will Barras)
Quotes I love from The Kid Mero’s review of Jay-Z/Kanye West “Watch the Throne”
In no particular order (other than the order that I read them):
- MUSIC WRITERS ARE DESCRIBING THIS SHIT THE WAY WHITE PEOPLE DESCRIBE GOURMET FOOD B. USING WORDS LIKE “AIRY” AND “TRANSCENDENTAL” AND “ETHEREAL”…REALLY NIGGA? ITS A FUCKIN RAP RECORD.
- THE SOFTNESS OF THIS SHIT IS OFF THE CHARTS THOUGH. THIS SHIT SOUNDS LIKE CAPTAIN AMERICA PRODUCED IT FOR KERI HILSON TO PERFORM AT A KINDERGARTEN GRADUATION B
- THESE NIGGAS ARE AT THEY BEST WHEN THEY RAP ABOUT BEING RICH, WHICH I KNOW IS THE SHIT THAT ANNOYS INTERNET RAP NIGGAS CUZ THE LAST TIME THEY SAW SIX FIGURES WAS ON A CREDIT CARD BILL.
- I WANNA SEE JAYZ COME UP WITH SOME SHIT TO EXPLAIN THE TITLE OF THE SONG TO CAUCASIAN FEMINISTS “WHAT I MEANT BY BITCH WAS LIKE I OWN A KENNEL AND ALL THE FEMALE DOGS IN MY KENNEL WEAR HERMES”…YEAH I KNOW PAL.
- KID CUDI MUSTA WALKED IN WHILE THEY WERE RECORDING LIKE “I AM THE BEST ARTIST OF THIS CENTURY!!” AND STARTED POUNDING ON EVERYTHING WITH KEYS ATTACHED TO IT.
- NAHMEAN THIS SHIT PLAYS WHEN YOU OPEN A BOX OF BABY WIPES. THIS IS ON KIRK FRANKLIN’S “JERKIN ILLZ IN THE SHOWER” PLAYLIST.
- OVERALL I GIVE THIS ALBUM 3.5 OUTTA 5 SMILEY FACES B. IF I WAS SMOKIN TO IT I’D PROLLY GIVE IT A 4, BUT I’M SOBER AND MY A/C IS OFF.
(h/t to my friend Chris -subjecttointerpretation go follow him or whatnot because he gets all annoyed when I mention his name and then his phone buzzes like a hundred times)
Another great track from evolutionary rapper Baba Brinkman
Source: SoundCloud / Lit Fuse Records
Hey NYC Tumblr friends! You have a treat going down in your town this month!
The world’s greatest (and only) evolutionary rapper, Baba Brinkman, has opened his live show The Rap Guide to Evolution at Soho Playhouse. It’s an award-winning hip-hop journey through evolutionary biology, and you should see this.
Check out the video from TEDxKids above to see what you’re in for.
“Perfomance, feedback, revision.”